[SEL] O.T. E-bay Dead Beats

Paul Maples paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 8 18:38:07 PDT 2005

Arthur the Arkansas man had changed his e-mail address and had never updated
his profile on E-bay so when I sent him his invoice the message bounced back
to me. I tried several times to send the message and each time it would
bounce back. I got on Yahoo using people search and thought I had found his
telephone number but it turned out to be his sister-in-law. She told me that
it was her elderly brother-in-law who hardly knows anything about computers
but loves to buy on E-bay. She gave me his number and I called him and I
could tell he was an elderly man. I told him who I was and then ask for his
new e-mail address. He was struggling to remember it but finally gave me the
new e-mail address. I told him I would send him an e-mail right now with the
total he owed as well as my address and for him to send me his mailing
address and I would get his book ready to mail out.

Come to find out the second e-mail address he gave me was also wrong. I
called his sister-in-law back and ask her if she would mind giving her
brother-in-law my e-mail address and have him send me a message, this way I
could get his correct e-mail address. She said she would do this for me. A
few minutes later I got a message from the elderly man who apologized for
all of the trouble and told me he was sending me a check. He also gave me
his mailing address.

All of this back and forth had resulted in his book being left on the
kitchen table along with the dead beat's book whom I was also waiting to
ship. I just failed to look inside of the packages to verify that I had the
right book and did not catch my error until I went to mail the Arkansas man
his book.

This has been a nightmare.

Paul