[SEL] Rusty Iron Pics

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 7 16:32:03 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt" <curt at imc-group.com>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [SEL] Rusty Iron Pics

Snip
> The small Caille engine is like the one Reg is getting/has gotten???
> http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/ri05/ri050244.JPG
> I've never seen one here either. It looks like it has a big nut holding
> the flywheel on. True? Curt Holland

Hi Curt, I used to own the Scandia marine engine shown at
http://community.webshots.com/photo/26047737/445221148EjEtbr
The flywheel was on a taper held on with a large nut.
Removing the nut was easy but it took me a month to get the flywheel off.
I used heat, cold, lubricants, pullers & nothing worked.
Every day I tried to tighten the pullers until at 2 AM a month later I was
woken up by a loud bang followed by a crash.
The heat changes that night broke the seal & the flywheel nearly went
through the shed floor!
Dave Croft
Warrington
England