[SEL] Heat Treating Metal

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed Sep 7 04:53:41 PDT 2005

One of the bonuses of this list I like best is the international
perspective we all get of what we each call things. This discussion on
metals is a classic example. John mentions the C45 which I am guessing
is identical to our 1045, standing for .45% carbon. I guess the C stands
for carbon. Ray mentions K1045, almost identical to the US designation
but I would be curious to know what the K stands for.
Ray also mentions the 4140 alloy which is identical to our system. The
4140 has a little more Mn and also has Mo added that contributes to much
better thru hardening than you get with 1045.
4340 has even better thru hardening and improved resistance to fracture
propagation once a fatigue crack initiates. I make all of our
crankshafts out of 4340. When the throw diameter is 21" you use the best
possible materials!
Also mentioned were heat treat numbers using the Brinell scale. In the
US we use a Rc (Rockwell C scale) for steel and a very hard part is
55-60 Rc (a ball bearing for example). That would correspond to our
Brinell scale of 458-613.

I really like the Casonite suggestion but Tommy I'm unclear if you have
to remake the part. The size you mention (1/8 x 1") might suggest just
buying a piece of tool steel. That would be a common size in something
like A2 which is an air hardening tool steel, and something you can do
with your torch at the house. If you really have a thing for quenching
you can get the same sizes of tool steel in O1 (oil hardening/quenching)
or even W1 (water hardening/quenching). Tool steels are designed
specifically to give high stability to the machined shape when heat
treating. Nothing worse that spending all the hours making a part only
to have it destroyed/warped in the heat treatment.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC