[SEL] Heat Treating Metal

R and E Freeman plb at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 7 02:22:31 PDT 2005

I suspect C45 is what we call here K1045. It's a carbon steel that will
machine and readily harden but is a bit lacking in toughness. A good steel
to use is 4140 which is readily available,cheap and easy to work with. It's
a chrome / moly steel. It can be heated and quenched to harden. I would use
sump oil to quench it in. This will bring it up to around 55 to 60 Brinell.
That will mean you will need ceramic inserts to machine it.
Ray Freeman