[SEL] OT - was Ford Model T a dual-fuel car?

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Tue Sep 6 08:31:54 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/6/2005 5:19:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
bill at antique-engines.com writes:

I've  been told that the Model T had a dual-fuel carb - it was designed to
be  switched between gasoline and ethanol.
Anyone know for a fact one way or  another?
The carbs I've seen were simple gas only  carbs.

Bill,
During WWII, I saw a Model A with a copper coil wrapped around the  exhaust
manifold to preheat kerosene.  There was a couple of valves used to  either use
gasoline or kerosene (after starting on gasoline).  Of course,  after using
kerosene and before shutting down the engine, it had to be switched  back to
gasoline in order to restart the engine.

Francis  Maciel
Santa Maria, CA