[SEL] Fairbanks Morse ZD Cracked Block - Best Way to Repair

fero_ah at city-net.com fero_ah at city-net.com
Mon Sep 5 08:01:17 PDT 2005

Hi Folks,

Let me add a couple of thoughts to Tommy's JB Weld comments.  I've also had
great success with doing water jacket crack repairs using JB Weld.

Tommy's observation on the fluidity of JB Weld can be a blessing or a curse
depending on the nature and geometry of the crack / hole that you're trying to
repair.

The normal version of JB Weld (two-part in tubes) is actually fairly fluid, even
at room temperature.   That means you can get penetration into the crack (a
good thing) but it can also run out of the crack and down the block (not a good
thing).  http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

For some geometries where the crack is vertical (and you can't lay the block
over) you might want to consider JB Stik.  Since you knead this stuff, you can
shape it and press it into place to add lots of options to the repair process.
http://jbweld.net/products/jbstik.php

Finally, be aware of JB Kwik http://jbweld.net/products/jbkwik.php.  No engine
man's toolbox should be without this product for rally field repairs.  It can
make the difference between having a stationary engine or a runner for the
weekend!

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA