[SEL] Engineers

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Sun Sep 4 13:27:01 PDT 2005

Joe,

    I may have heard the same report that you did discussing the section
of flood wall being the "newest" section constructed.  However, the
person I heard discussing it also stated that the sub structure it was
built on was older construction with weak subsurface strength.  He
stated that the proper construction would have required extensive
dredging, construction of a temporary retaining wall and complete
reconstruction of the sub structure when the newer top portion was
added.  Lack of funding prohibited the full rehab.  He surmised that the
sub structure gave way and allowed the concrete retaining wall, which
was several feet high, to creel over and let the water in.  You're right
that without engineers, there would be no one to blame.  But, they have
to design the best structure that can be built........ with the funds
that are available.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY