[SEL] Rusty Iron Rally

Patrick M Livingstone pml1 at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 4 05:24:36 PDT 2005

Home again after another great weekend with the engines.
Friday I headed north with the 1hp & 12hp R&Vs and 5.5 hours later arrived
in Macksville. The engines were soon unloaded and after the welcoming BBQ
dinner a pleasant night was spent around the fire drinking beer and telling
lies ;)
Saturday was a nice, hot day (I got burnt again) and there was an enormous
range of engines, tractors, trucks, cars, motorbikes, and pretty much
anything antique. I took over 300 photos on Saturday! I also spent a lot of
time catching up with engine friends from all over NSW & Queensland.
The two R&Vs ran well all day though the 12hp was having trouble running off
the main tank due to water in the fuel. I ran it off the carby bowl for most
of the day but by late afternoon I had bled enough water out to run the
engine off the main tank and the fuel pump decided to work flawlessly for a
change.
Saturday night was the main dinner with around 370 people in attendance.
There were trophies awarded in various categories and Edd won a trophy for
his Galloway.
When we got back to camp on Saturday night it started to rain and it just
got heavier. It rained heavily all night but thankfully my new tent did not
leak.
It was still raining this morning so I packed up my camp and headed over to
load up the engines. The rain was getting lighter so I thought I would give
the R&Vs one last run before loading them up. Both started first pull and
then the rain stopped - the power of R&Vs. It was lunchtime before I had the
heart to shut them down as they were running so well and by then the rain
was returning.
Apart from the rain it was another excellent weekend. I will put some pics
on my site when I get some sleep :)

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html