[SEL] Fairbanks Morse ZD Cracked Block - Best Way to Repair

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 01:18:38 PDT 2005

Hi List,
I finally got around to finish disassembling the Fairbanks Morse ZD  (2 HP)
that I purchased at the Paso Robles Swap Meet.  I was able to  remove the stuck
piston using the BFH method after it had been soaking with ATF  fluid for
several weeks.  After cleaning the area around the head area, I  found a vertical
crack of about 6" long on the left side of block going into the  water
hopper.  Has anyone successfully repaired a  crack of this nature?  If so, what was
the  approach?  I did a search on Google and found several  different cast
iron welding rods that are available.  In addition, there  are also brazing and
silver soldering methods mentioned.  I was thinking of  using a piece of 12
gauge flat stainless steel plate (1" x 7"),  attaching  it with screws (about ¼"
from the edges), and sealing it with JB Weld.   Does anyone have any comments
about this proposed method?
I was able to pick up another Fairbanks Morse ZD (1½ HP) block  from a EDGE &
TA member.  It too had a similar crack in about the same  area.  Is this a
common crack area for this engine?

Francis  Maciel
514 E. Taft Street
Santa Maria, CA  93454