[SEL] How I did It - Fuel Filler - Hercules Economy

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Wed Oct 26 20:21:50 PDT 2005

Hi List,
The fuel filler on the Economy uses a flip top lid.  Since  this engine had
been using a pipe plug for lid, I decided to make  one.
A 3/8' x 1" bell pipe reducer was used as the basis for the  fabrication.  I
thread a piece of 3/8" pipe to the reducer and chucked  it in the lathe.  I
machined out  the inside of 1" side and also trued  up the lip edge and rim.
Next, I used a hole saw (same diameter as the  machined reducer rim) to make the
top out of a piece of 1/4" plate.  Then,  I used a piece of 1/2" dia x 3/4"
round stock to make the lid hinge part.   A 3/16" dia was drill through length
of the round stock.  The round  hinge piece was welded to lid so that the top
of the lid is even with the  top of the round stock.  Two pieces of 3/16" flat
x 3/4" wide x 1"  long iron were shaped to fit the sides of the bushing
reducer to form the  other part of the hinge.  3/16" holes were drilled into each
of the upper  part of the shaped pieces using the welded lid hinge to locate
them.  A #12  bolt was used to hold the shaped parts to lid hinge.  Then, the
flat shaped  pieces were ground to match the 1/2" dia stock and fit the outside
of the  bell reducer.  The lid (along with bolted shaped iron pieces) was
temporarily clamped to the top of bell reducer rim to mainain the position  the
two shaped flat iron pieces before being welded to bell reducer  sides.   After
these shaped pieces are welded to bell reducer, the  bolt was removed.  Since
my welding is not the best, the welds were ground  smooth and JB Weld was
used to clean up the assembly.  A large cotter  key was used as the hinge rod.  I
used a short 1/4" dia bolt and an  Acorn nut to hide the 1/4" hole in the lid
left over from using the hole  saw.  The unit looks good mounted on the
engine.

Francis  Maciel
Santa Maria, CA