[SEL] Charity Auctions & The SEL Scholarship

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:53:55 PDT 2005

On 10/24/05, Arnie Fero <fero_ah at city-net.com> wrote:
> Hi Spencer,
>
> At Portland this year there was a lengthy discussion about setting up a
> scholarship in the name of the SEL and having the charity auction proceeds
> (or a large chunk) go to that.  Obviously, due to timing issues, that
> wouldn't apply to the current planned distribution.
>
> The idea being that folks on the SEL all do their own personal
> "charitable" contributions to "worthy charities" and that SEL "charity"
> stuff should be related to "stationary engine" things.  The first two
> items listed below are in that category.  All of the others are the sorts
> of charities that folks give to on their own for their own reasons.
>
> The scholarship would be in some area of "mechanics" akin to stationary
> engines.  Perhaps others who were in the discussions would care to
> elaborate?
>
> See ya,  Arnie

Unfortunately, there is little record of what was discussed this year,
although I do remember a conversation about the Charity proceeds on
the day after the dinner/auction in which the scholarship was
mentioned.

Perhaps we need to set this out a little more formally so that at
least the full-grown idea can be viewed and likely funding needs
discussed?  methinks that it would take more than was raised at this
year's two auctions?

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes