[SEL] Charity auctions

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Oct 23 11:23:15 PDT 2005

Whoops!   I forgot to quote and include Carl's post.   My post should read
like this

>>From: Spencer Yost
>
>>20% - Red Cross Ear marked for Hurricane relief(contrary
>>to what you occasionally hear on these lists, the Red Cross
>> has a stellar financial performance)
>
>Not in my book!  They have the highest administrative expenses leaving
less
>money going directly to the poor folks who need help!  Going back a couple
>of

Actually, false.  Here are the facts:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/3277.htm

The numbers are certainly better than all the other organizations we have
donated to in the past, including Make-a-Wish,. ALS, Heifer, etc

I have heard all the rumors about the Red Cross too.  And I have heard all
the "They didn't give me my cigarettes when I was soldier" stories too.
But a few years ago some actual research and number crunching I did for the
charity auction revealed a well run organization that did more good that
just about all the general emergency response charities put together.  It
was then I realized that the "Red Cross is fiscally irrespionsible" stuff
just isn't true and was based on a few stories that were atypical for the
organization.

While no organization is perfect, they have 4 star rating, 3 star
efficiency and one of the best capacity ratings in the business(means how
much can they actually do).  Very low fund raising expenses for an
organization their size.  Personally, I have never understood all this
"kill the red Cross" stuff I see on these lists considiring every one of us
(or a close family member) has relied on their blood banks.  Also, the did
about 80% of the initial disater work for the hurricances, so I'll earmark
the funds for hurricane relief.

But really - all in all?   They are as well run as humans can manage.  They
are the 300 pound lineman(or big oilfield engine) of charities.   Not
pretty to watch but man, do they both get some work done.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net