[SEL] Interesting old advert....smoke stack?

Alan Bowen rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 16:24:10 PDT 2005

Hi Peter,
Burning wood, or coal, that smoke stack was where they sent the steam after the piston used it so it would speed up the draft.  That made the fire burn hotter.
Just maybe the shape of the stack is what they figured would make the most difference.

Come see this at the Buckley show.  Every night during the show they hook up a steam traction engine to the Prony Brake and throw in a few shovels full of sawdust.  Then they use the Prony Brake to put a load on the engine and the stack puts out a spark shower WAY up in the air.

Alan

peter ogborne <jopeter at omninet.net.au> wrote:
Jerry.........something I have often wondered about is why do old time US
loco's have that distinctive smoke stack ? Is it that they burnt wood or is
there another reason ?