[SEL] Re: 12 volt 2000 lbs winch

Frank DeWitt Frank at lbpinc.com
Sun Oct 2 16:21:51 PDT 2005

The rating of winches bothers me because it is nearly useless info  Both
Dead weight and rolling weight depend on friction

It isn't just HF that does this, They all do.  I think they use 15 amp
Vacuum Cleaner motors to run the winches

Frank

>Standard rating for winches is to list dead weight capacity and rolling
>weight capacity. BUT you have to read the fine print to find the numbers
>on some manufacturers gear. For the HF units they are 2000# dead weight
>on level ground and 6000 pounds rolling on level ground. Dead lift would
>be the same as dead weight rating. BUT most of the low end winches are
>NOT set up to be used as hoists because they lack a locking brake for
>the spool. Remember that an easy way to increase the pulling power is to
>add a snatch block in the cable and double the line pull, at reduced
>line speed (which is usually a good thing when your moving a lot of
>weight) I have two of the HF 110 hoists mounted in my shop. They work
>OK, fit and finish isn't as "pretty" as others But I bought them to work
>not look fancy. They are also real easy to work on if needed.
>
>Steve W.

  Frank DeWitt

  Light plant WEB page
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/frank>http://www.oldengine.org/members/<http://www.oldengine.org/members/frank>frank
  Mechanical Design      mailto:frank at lbpinc.com
  LBP  INC.              Phone:  585 624 3052
  2365 Cox Rd.           Fax     585 624 1038
  Bloomfield NY 14469    Web   http://www.lbpinc.com