[SEL] John Hammink

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Wed Nov 30 19:21:17 PST 2005

Not only I, but my whole family are deeply saddened by the news of
John's death. He and Ria visited with us here once, and my wife and
children liked them and enjoyed their visit very much. My daughter
Jennifer took it very hard. John gave her her first job as an artist,
commissioning her to draw an engine-themed  Christmas card for him
several years ago. She still wears the T–shirt he gave her for that
job.

I've long enjoyed corresponding with John on and off of the engine
list, and have had the pleasure of visiting with him and Ria at
Portland on several occasions. He was a kind and generous man, with a
gentle sense of humor. I've pointed many people who E-mailed me with
International engine questions to John, as I regarded him as the
world's foremost expert on these engines.

He will be sorely missed. There's nobody capable of "filling his shoes."

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA