[SEL] LB question, and musing

chesnimnus at juno.com chesnimnus at juno.com
Fri Nov 25 14:56:00 PST 2005

Hello,
Some of you may remember that I got a dead International/McCormick LB engine about two months ago.  Although it has most of the parts, it is in rough shape after being left out in the Oregon Upper Willamette Valley rain for the last several decades, and I have taken it apart to check condition.  Bent pushrods, valves that have been ground too many times, rusted out welch plugs, a cylinder head that was filled with rust in the water passages, a frozen throttle valve butterfly, a mixer that has a stuck valve and stripped threads where the needle and the fuel line go, a severely worn-out cam, cam followers with scoring on the face, and a significant ridge on the cylinder make me glad I took it apart.  I think this motor has had a LOT of use over the years.
I am going to send the main cast iron components to Portland Engine Rebuilders to be hot-tanked, run through the shotpeener and cooker, and magged.  Only one thing is left to do before I go: remove the governor linkage.  I cannot figure out how to get the governor rod out of the main hopper/crankcase casting.  This is the thin shaft that has one end inside the crankcase (with a helical spring attached to a lever on the end), and the other end has 4 steel "petals" bent together to engage the square brass shaft in the cylinder head.  How do I get this rod out?
Interesting motor.  I like the way the factory designed the crankshaft so that it has a sort of primitive pressurized oiling system, without a pump.  The crankshaft is the pump, in a sense.
-Colin Rush