[SEL] Aussie Translators?

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Sat Nov 19 10:44:33 PST 2005

Are there any bilingual Aussies who speak both Aussie and American who can help
with translation?

We Yanks have wrenchs.  Just about everything for turning fasteners externally
is called a wrench.

If I understand correctly, the Poms have spanners.  The spanners are supposed to
work just about the same as our wrenches.

This morning I was looking an an Aussie auction on ebay for some "shifters."
The shifters were of the "monkey wrench" sort, with smooth parallel jaws similar
to a pipe wrench.  In Oz, are all spanners and wrenches called shifters?  Or
just adjustable wrenches?  Would a Crescent wrench be called a shifter?  How
about a box end or open end wrench?

Just trying to understand the finer nuances of the language... don't want to
cause any international incidents over imprecise communication.

Rob

Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
mailto:rskinner at rustyiron.com