[SEL] Economy engine Plug Fouling

R & M Ingold randmingold at hotkey.net.au
Thu Nov 3 21:01:54 PST 2005

A few thoughts on this.
If the carb throat is too large, then the mixture will HAVE to be very rich
for it to get any fuel at low gas speeds.( Even if it is ok for full on load
and original speed.)
So, to run an engine at slow speed and no load, the carb bore needs
reducing.
The half size models I make, (1 1/2 inch bore) run well on a 3/16 venturi at
the needle and 1/4 lead in and out. This gives the gas some speed and allows
fuel to be drawn up and mixed with the air.
I have made reducing inserts to fit in a few full size engines. They solved
the trouble.
A choke plate partly closed helps but is only a band aid solution.
So, if you are keeping an engine, a few hours work will fix this problem for
good and all. Just dont expect it to work hard with the mods.
Reg & Marg Ingold.
Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
randmingold at hotkey.net.au
http://www.oldengine.org/members/randmingold