[SEL] Oilers

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Thu Nov 3 08:02:16 PST 2005

Hi Tom,

The rule of thumb for cylinder oilers on engines that aren't being
"worked" is one drop per minute per horsepower.  Double that if you have
the engine belted up doing work.  Typically most folks just use plain 30
weight oil, although some do a mix adding Marvel Mystery Oil to get a
pretty color in the oiler.

Give the grease cups a turn at the start of the day as a part of your
"inspect & oil up" routine.

Depending on the size of the wells in the main bearing caps, you may or
may not want to add some cotton waste to help retain the oil.  Another
useful thing to use are those cotton thingies that the dentist pokes in
between your cheek and gum.  I like to use 90 weight gear oil in main
bearing oil wells.

Hope that helps and WELCOME to the list and a great hobby!!

When you have a chance, tell us more about yourself and your engines.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com