[SEL] Cylinder/piston questions

Mark Empson empson07 at chilitech.com
Mon May 23 18:56:19 PDT 2005

Mike ,
The difference in piston diameter from head to skirt might very well be by
design in that the head of the piston is in contact with combustion and will
inherently be hotter ( more expansion ) this heat is transferred to the
cylinder via the rings which have a gap that allows them to expand and not
tighten up in the bore . The piston to wall clearance is measured on the
skirt which is meant to guide the piston in the cylinder . The seal between
the piston and rings happens on the ring lands thus the need for a fairly
tight fit there as someone else said .001 - .002 would be great but I
wouldn't be alarmed if it were .005 . In my opinion glaze hone the cylinder
and install new rings .
Mark Empson