[SEL] Insurance and safety rules/ and now the BS

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Thu May 19 16:51:03 PDT 2005

Hi Gene and list,

It is sad but true that the folks in power are not PC younger folks.
They have all been members for some time, and they don't like any new or
fresh ideas. Same old same old. Why change, or even attempt to change
for the better. A good example is the show I tried to put together for
July. I can do it with their blessing, but it won't be sanctioned by the
club, and they won't run it in the newsletter. As a new member I haven't
made enough contacts to put a show together. I need the newsletter to
reach members interested in a show.

I received a response from the VP today. I didn't get kicked out,
probably because I own the clubs domain. Not real bright on their part.
I did get a line of BS though, or I'm a complete idiot and have no idea
what I read.

<snip>

> "Insurance: using your example, Jeff, if you want your grand-son
> behind the ropes at Cider Days feel free to do so. I don't think it is
> a good idea but you know him better than I. You can have him sit on
> your running engine if you want. If he is with you he is NOT insured
> by our insurance anyway.

The short one (age 7) can't be insured by the club. He is too young as I
read the minimum age is 14. Since he is not a member or insured wouldn't
he be considered a spectator? Aren't spectators supposed to be covered
by the insurance? Oh, and the part about "spectators are strictly
forbidden in any running display area" doesn't apply to him because...?
I'm sorry but I don't understand. Guess I are a idiot. Time for a break.

Jeff
PS, Define "collectable" Gene. I have enjoyed watching engines like
yours run several times. That's what counts.