[SEL] Insurance and safety rules

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Wed May 18 09:55:32 PDT 2005

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for posting those rules for your club.  Some wag (WC Fields,
Groucho Marks, Mark Twain, ???) once said that they wouldn't want to join
any club that would have them as a member.

I certainly would have nothing whatsoever to do with a club that felt a
need to promulgate rules such as these.  I really hope that you include a
copy of these rules in your advertising for club events so that folks can
make an informed choice about whether to attend or not.

I have a couple of comments on the rules.

No alcohol.  If this is a "pro forma" rule, then OK.  Perhaps half the
shows I attend have such a rule posted.  If they actually enforce it, then
I will not attend.  I don't as a rule drink either water or soft drinks at
a show.  A cold beer OTOH is a nice refreshment.  Grownups need to be held
accountable for their actions.  Stupidity around machinery can also happen
to a Pepsi drinker.  To penelize someone for their choice of beverage is
simply stupid.  I've been to a great many English engine rallys and have
enjoyed the beer tent.  As with drinking at shows in the US, moderation is
the key while the engines are running.  Recognizing that some folks are
still mentally in the 1920's (especially in the Bible belt) and regard all
alcohol as "The Demon Rum", I will generally be discreet and drink my
beer from a covered coffee mug.  It also keeps the wasps out.  8-))

Display Areas.  I will never attend any show that prohibits spectators
around the machinery.  As Reg said, what's the point?  If I choose to
allow a young engine man to start one of my engines (as I've done a number
of times with my Lorenz), that's my call.

RPM Requirements.  This is just plain stupid.

Steam Engines.  The mind boggles.  I'm not into steam, but my guess is
that the hassle of getting a Colorado operators license and boiler
inspection for someone from out of state, would absolutely effectively ban
every out of state steamer.  It would make sense to require that the
steamer and operator meet the requirements of their home state.  And for
sure, you better make THIS requirement known in ALL of your advertising.
Someone who had trucked a huge Case to your show only to be told, "Sorry
mate, you're not licensed in Colorado." would be SERIOUSLY pissed off.

Dress Code.  That is the most priceless bit.  The mind boggles.  I
sincerly would love to meet the TWIT to whom this matters!!  CLEARLY, your
club needs to add one more rule specifying in DETAIL the standard of
restoration and rarity that will be permitted for exhibits at club shows.
It's obviously as important that one doesn't exhibit a tatty Maytag as
that one exhibits in natty knickers.

BTW, DO NOT expect to find my application to join your club.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com