[SEL] reducing noise on portable generator

David Tiefenbrunn davidtief at abac.com
Tue May 17 18:20:32 PDT 2005

At 11:06 AM 5/17/2005 -0400, Ivan wrote:

>But how to quiet it down a little more  ?
> I would like to put a smaller pulley on the gen itself so that I can lower
>the speed a little more ,target is1800 rpm and I have one of the lo tone
>mufflers from briggs  .So its a little quieter than a jet turbine .

I was at an event where we had to run one of those noisy things.  I found
that folding table laid over on it's side made a wall between the genny and
us that took a lot of the "bite" out of the noise.  Higher & denser
material (plywood / particle board) would be more effective.  A heavy
blanket or rug on the genny side would help even more.  The barrier can be
a couple feet away from the genny.  It does have to be high enough to block
the "line of site" between the genny and the ears that don't want to hear it.

Dave

David Tief.  N1WWY
Visit our web page at: http://users.abac.com/dandatief
Fight Spam: http://www.hostedscripts.com/scripts/antispam.html