[SEL] Distasterous news for the historical machinery movementin Australia!!!...now collectors or restorers

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue May 17 07:36:26 PDT 2005

On 5/17/05, peter ogborne <jopeter at omninet.net.au> wrote:
> I think that there is a big difference between a collector and a restorer.
> The latter derives more pleasure restoring rather than running around the
> country with a cheque book . I would fall into the latter category .....I
> can honestly say i have only ever paid for an engine once and that was too
> bloody much . Perhaps i have been lucky but i have always been given or
> swapped engines. Should i hang my head in shame ? I  would rather spend the
> money on tools or equipment and enjoy the challenge of bringing an engine
> back to life.I am sure there are many who share the same sentiments.
> As for getting off my arse and going around and buying worthy pieces of
> machinery ......that is the sort of response i would expect from a cheque
> book collector.

I don't feel that you can pigeon-hole people quite as easily as that, Peter.

Many folks have different circumstances that preclude buying,
collecting or restoring engines, but have a love of the hobby.

Most of us go through an 'acquisitive phase' for want of a better
expression, but it soon cools off once you realise that having 20 tons
of old iron out in the shed isn't the best way forward!

Restorations are fine if you have the TIME, that rare commodity that
few of us have in reality.

As for buying, I think we have bought most of our engines at some time
or other, but I certainly wouldn't call us 'cheque book collectors',
we never had that much money in the first place and didn't have the
inclination in the second! :-))

Space is the last thing that most folks don't have a lot of, except
for those fortunate enough to have properties with grounds enough to
have a decent shed or workshop. Patrick Livingstone makes do very well
indeed with his place which is even smaller than our own, and Shannon
gives him a hand too!

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes