[SEL] Re: A blow to the Old Machinery Movement in Australia

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sat May 14 10:37:17 PDT 2005

At 06:00 AM 13/05/2005 -0400,

Hi all you Aussies,
	So you are going to start selling scrap iron.

	Welcome to the 3rd world. We (in South Africa) have lived with that
problem for years. Who knows how many beautiful old engines have ended up
in the smelting works here? We have had a thriving scrap iron business
going here for many years.

	At least you guys have a "Heritage Law". In South Africa we have a
"redistribution policy". What this means is that if you have something that
a "previously disadvantaged" individual could sell for a few bucks then you
are not going to have it for much longer.

	Given time I could dig up (out of my backups) pics of a Lister LD circa
1960 (granted not a valueable old engine) that was driving a water pump
supplying a farmhouse. One morning the owner had no water and on
investigation found that all the aluminium housings on his engine had been
smashed with a hammer to be sold as scrap. ( In our currency scrap value
realised was probably less than ZAR 30.00 - replacement value of the engine
was approx. ZAR 15,000.00). This engine is now lying in my yard to be used
for spare parts - given to me by the previous owner.

	I personally have lost from a locked store that only 2 employees have ever
had access to in the last 5 years (I'm not going to get racist so I will
not tell you the colour of their skin - also, in South Africa, we may no
longer report the perpetrator of a crime's race or colour if he is black).
the following:

	1) Blue Diamond / Briggs & Stratton genset bought new in 1973 and used for
1 1/2 years - thereafter kept in store. (Scrap value less than ZAR 50.00 -
replacement value approx ZAR 2500.00
	2) CAT high pressure washer (aluminium casing) with 5 HP electric motor
(Scrap value less than ZAR 100.00 - replacement approx. ZAR 5000.00)
	3) 2 Vintage Bookpresses (approx 100 years old) (scrap value less than ZAR
50.00 each - replacement value - irreplaceable) (They were heavy "chunks of
cast iron with big Brass handles)
	4) 2 Antique "London type" lampposts (scrap less than ZAR 50.00 -
irreplaceable)
	5) An 18 HP English Electric motor (too heavy for 4 people to pick up)
(Value ???) (Motors have copper wire in them)
	6)Electric and hand tools too numerous to list.
	7) Brand new Datsun 6 cylinder, cylinder head - aluminium. (value ???)
	8) Brand new Volkswagen twin port cylinder head (the old type) aluminium.
(value ???)
	9) Solid brass free standing antique reading lamp - copy of "Nelson's
Column" in London (value - I recently saw one advertised on the net for
more than 2500.00 English pounds - scrap value less than ZAR 100.00 or
about 12 English pounds)
	10) Wisconsin Air cooled engine (approx 6 HP) in working condition (Value
not known)
	11) Hatz diesel engine in working condition (Value not known)
	12) 5 HP Tecumseh engine close coupled to centrifugal water pump (Brand
new - kept as spare) (Value not known).

	There is a lot more but I've probably bored you guys enough now!

	I live on a 5 acre plot (small holding) and built a cottage for my son to
live in about 75 yards from my house - I included a lockup store (The store
mentioned) to keep all my "stuff" in. This was only completed in 2001 which
is when I packed the "stuff" into it. There were times when I sent one or
both of the aforementioned employees to this store to fetch something
without supervision. These were the only times that the store was ever
unlocked without supervision. Of course they profess to know nothing about
the missing items!

	We have a "scrapyard" in the vicinity who, in the past, have been found in
possession of a complete aluminium irrigation system belonging to one of
the local farmers (unfortunately no longer of any use to him as all the
piping was chopped up into short lengths), various aluminium ladders (also
chopped up), copper hot water geysers stolen from vacant houses and many
more valueable items - yet they are still allowed to operate !

	We also have people of dubious character who go from property to property
collecting "scrap iron" - sometimes legit other times not.  I had a case
about 8 years ago where some one entered my property when I was away and
told my employees that I had sent them to pick up the empty 44 gallon
steel drums that I was using as scaffolding when building - they even had
the cheek to get the said employees to help them load the drums.
Fortunately I traced the drums to a local drum reconditioning plant and was
able to lay a charge against these people. By the way, I can safely tell
you that they were white people - we are not allowed to tell you their race
if they are black!! That would be considered "racist".

	So Aussies, I sympathise with you because "I've been there - done that and
even bought the "T" shirt". Better buy up all those old engines that are
lying around while you still have the chance and also lock up those you
have before they get "redistributed" :-)

Best regards
Jerry Evans.
Databak Hard Drive Data Recovery

Databak Hard Drive Data Recovery   ----- The lower cost Data Recovery
Alternative !
We recover your LOST DATA resulting from Hard Drive Failure / Virus attack
/ Accidental or Malicious Deletion of files, Reformatting or Partition Loss
(FDISK).
We also retrieve lost passwords for most popular programmes.
Visit our site:
http://www.databak.co.za
Tel: (016)365-5787 and 083 293 7191
Tel. Intntl.: +27(16)365-5787
eMail: jerrye at cyberserv.co.za
Snail Mail: P.O.Box 521, Randvaal. 1873. Republic of South Africa

---