[SEL] Photo database UPDATE

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Fri May 13 18:35:49 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Thanks for the many comments. Ken's site is one I have used, but as he
said, it has been neglected. Still nice work. Don's site at:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/siefker/shows/oldshows/image-index-a.html
is the best I've seen. Great work there, and well worth a bookmark.

There are many who have made information available to all of us. The one
thing I found lacking was a photo database. The two above are pretty
good by the way. I do not have too much time or energy, but figured
maybe I could work on this, much like Rob is working on the patent
information. It would be an ongoing project, as time allows, but it has
to start somewhere.

Here are my thoughts. I would like to start with engines owned by
members of the lists. I want the pictures send to me. I do not want to
link to other pages as it will cause broken links down the road. One
site, one source for all the data. I would build html pages for each
engine so I could add text. That is where all of you come in. You would
send me photos of your engines and describe them as best you can with
type, year, model, etc. I will give credit to the photographer, and will
add the owners name if they wish. I think that would be a good starting
point.

I would also like folks like Maytag Mark to add their expertise on the
engines they know about. Variations between models and countries and all
that good stuff. Hyperlinks between models could be added so for example
one could see the difference between an IH LA and LB with a mouse click.
This is a huge project, but I will take it on if all of you will help.

I would also like someone to provide web space for this. I could buy a
domain and find a home for this, but would prefer not to have to do
that. I have a test page in the works as a sample. I'll try to share it
for feedback in the next few days.

In closing, you folks would be doing a lot of the work, and I would
assemble it. As always, comments welcome.

Jeff Allen