[SEL] Distasterous news for the historical machinery movement inAustralia!!!

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Fri May 13 09:49:19 PDT 2005

> Your Government put up a law banning exports of 'rare and significant'
> machinery, so the good stuff should be protected?  Certainly
> it cannot 'officially' be sold to overseas buyers without an
> export licence as I understand it, and Oz and NZ are the only
> countries that I am aware of that have these restrictions on old iron.

> Peter A Forbes

Peter,

The Czech Republic also now requires paperwork to get an engine out of
the country.

When the Czech Republic first opened up, engine collectors flooded in
and great quantities of Czech sideshafts and other engines were leaving
the country.  Someone finally realized that these engines were leaving
the country and they now have to okay any engines leaving the country.

Of course as expected, that still doesn't stop good engines from leaving
the country.  I got a "3hp Little" engine out of there and it's the only
known water cooled Little to exist according to the Czech engine dealer.
Just takes a little extra payment to get the proper paperwork.  It's the
rarest Czech engine I have and also the only one that I have official
paperwork on stating it could be exported.

I believe Harry had to pay something at the border as well when he went
to pick up the engines and bring them back to his place.

Oz may work differently as officials there may not be use to making
supplemental income as part of their job.

George