[SEL] Generator hookup

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed May 11 13:23:30 PDT 2005

Ahh! The short answer is no. You'll just make a nice electric heater out
of your step down transformer. As you know power transformers are
designed to work on full reversing 60 cycle energy. Your generator is
not simply the lower half of 60 cycle power flipped up to give you what
would look like 60 cycle single phase rectified power.
As you rotate the rotor on your generator 1 full turn you go by dozens
of sets of commutator bars. Each one of these produces a short time but
true sinusoidal wave form. But there are so many of them when you look
at it with a scope all you see is a ripply wave form that is the
summation of all these little sinusoidal peaks. That almost pure DC will
just nicely heat your transformer windings imparting not a bit of
current flow in the secondary.
If you really want to use this generator then you could hook like
wattage devises in series to split the voltage.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC