[SEL] Fairbanks Morse ZD Snag/Info Needed

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Fri May 6 21:41:54 PDT 2005

Hi List,
Today was not productive for me.  I opened up the crankcase on my second
Fairbanks Morse ZD, removed the crankshaft and started to reinstall the
replacement crankshaft.  Then, I noticed a difference between the two crankshafts.  The
rod journal on the original measured about 0.995" diameter and the replacement
crankshaft rod journal measured 1.125" diameter.  This is a difference of
about 1/8".  All other measurements seem to be in the ball park.
One of the previous owners made a replacement flywheel and then welded this
new flywheel to the crankshaft.  However, he didn't correctly align the
flywheel to the crankshaft and the flywheel wobbles.  This is the reason why I wanted
to change out the flywheel crankshaft assembly.  By the way, this welded
flywheel has  no mark on the rim for timing the magneto.  I have been trying to
establish a timing mark using the replacement flywheel timing mark as a
reference in case I have to reuse this original assembly.
The engine from which I obtained the replacement flywheel assembly has a
stuck piston.  I was considering removing this rod and piston assembly and, then,
install this assembly into the restoration engine.  I don't know if this will
work as I haven't been able to make any measurements in this area.  Does
anyone know if these parts are interchangeable?
Another thing that was surprising was the valve lifter mechanism in the
restoration engine is quite a bit different than the other ZD engines that I have.
This valve system has a valve lifter cam/follower assembly that swings on a
ball like device between the cam and the end of the valves.  At this time, I
have not have any idea how to adjust the valves on this latter engine.  All the
data that I have been able to obtain on these engines regarding valve lash
adjustment use shims inside a hollow valve cam follower.  Can someone help me on
how to adjust the valve tip clearance on this engine?
>From the serial number, 730331, this engine was built in 1929.  There is no
dip stick on the restoration engine - the oil filler elbow is mounted on the
front of the bottom crankcase.  Nor is there a removal seal on the end of the
crankshaft opposite the flywheel - it is part of the casting.  The oil dipper on
the connecting rod is mounted on the front of the connecting rod cap.  The
connecting rod oil dipper dips into the oil at the bottom of the crankcase.
There is no dipper oil retainer box at the bottom of the crankcase.  What kind of
ZD do I have?

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, CA 93454