[SEL] Friend piston questions

Michael Tucker mtucker at uky.edu
Wed May 4 10:29:54 PDT 2005

Howdy all,

Lincoln is restoring a 4 hp Friend Model BX (throttle governed) and
he needs some help with it.  Long story, but the piston is DEAD, as
in using it is totally out of the question.  So, he is in search of a
replacement piston.  The diameter is 4 inches and the distance from
the top of the piston to the top of the wrist pin hole is 1.45
inches.  The diameter of the wrist pin hole is a little more than
0.75 inches.

Does anybody know of a piston that we could make work for this
engine?  There are a number of automobile pistons that are 4 inches
but the ones that we have found all have a very narrow space for the
connecting rod and making that space big enough to accept the rod
would remove too much material and make things a little too fragile
for the wrist pin.  We would rather not grind down the width of the
connecting rod down to fit because one of these days we may actually
run across a correct Friend piston.

According to Ed at Hit & Miss, an IHC LB 3-5 piston is 4 inches with
a wrist pin hole that would work but the distance from the top of the
piston to the top of the wrist pin is close to 2 inches.  Would an
extra 0.5 inches of compression stroke be too much for a headless
engine to handle?

Thanks for the help,
Mike
--