Was: [SEL] Hot tube material Now: FMC Y

Steve Gray segray at mlode.com
Tue May 3 13:06:56 PDT 2005

Hi Dwight -

   It's not known what exactly this ol' gal did in her hay days, but all
the working years were spent in an engine shed near the "Sweet Marie
Mine" in Battle Mountain, Nevada (near I80, due south of the
Oregon/Idaho border). I would suspect either pumping water from the mine
or compressing air for it. The serial number of 419195 puts it around
October of 1919. Allegedly, it was at the mine from day one and used
until the early part of WWII. It has the lighter(??), non-electric
flywheels with a 26" diameter clutch/pulley. Being inside all it's life,
the engine is in fantastic shape and may never have been apart.

- Steve

--
Steve Gray
Member EDGE & TA, Br. 13, 27 & 49