[SEL] piston rings and bores.

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Mon May 2 07:36:38 PDT 2005

A. They are so not needed in a typical gasoline engine (unless you seek
ultra-high performance)
B. I've heard some racers complain of gasses building up between the rings
and causing ring flutter and problems.
C. Some I've talked to who have tried them say they would not again.
D. See the truth on ring gap explained here:

http://kb-silvolite.com/feature.php?action=read&F_id=40

(My soon-to-be high-performance car engine will use KB hyper 28cc step
dish pistons on full-floating pins and a balanced crank assembly)

On a stationary, small or industrial engine or a street or street/strip
car, none of us could come up with a  need for them, especially when there
were some issues with them.

Bill