[SEL] Honda oil plug OT

Joseph L Betz jlb94 at juno.com
Thu Mar 31 08:17:13 PST 2005

Hi Tom,

This is just ONE REASON why I WILL NOT have my oil changed ANYWHERE
except by MYSELF.

Too many horror stories.

My truck is 1972 new. - NO ONE has ever changed oil but me.
My Merk is 1989 used - ONE TIME - I took it to a Goodyear dealer to get
tires and said - "Why not change the oil also."  Sure enough - PROBLEMS.
As I was driving down the street I saw smoke behind me.  I checked the
oil and it looked to be about 2 quarts TOO FULL and DIRTY.

I took it back and talked to the owner (I know him) and he said HE would
change it again.
I watched and as soon as he lifted the car and got under, he said "I know
what they did".
They didn't drain BOTH SIDES of the pan.  (My Merk has 2 drain plugs.)
They simply drained only one side and refilled with 4½ qts of oil.

Never again will ANYONE except ME change oil in my vehicles - NOT EVEN my
kid, who was a mechanic for a while and "over tightens" everything.

He picked up a saying off a mechanic friend of mine that goes like this:

"A good cross thread is better than no thread."
My insides get all tangled up when I hear that.

Thanks for the opportunity,
Just my opinion.

Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
jlb94 at juno.com
 ,-._,-.         "Conceit is an odd disease:
 \/)"(\/        It makes everyone sick but the one who has it."
 (_o_)          http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz