[SEL] Honda oil plug OT

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 07:43:04 PST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:18:59 -0600, kerogas at sbcglobal.net
<kerogas at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>   In my sixty-one years I have never heard of anyone wearing out an oil pan
> > hole except from over tightening and stretching things or from cross
> threading.
> >  Remember, this bolt has only been removed and reinstalled about 40 times.

Reminds me of an incident on a truck one night:  We had been called
out by the Police to attend a truck (Scania LB110) which had broken a
hafl-shaft on a hill, carrying an outsized load from Portslade in
Sussex up to Manchester. The height of the load meant that it had to
go up one of the older parallel roads to the main route out of
Brighton, and he had mashed the shaft after a missed downchange.

Scania half shafts come in different flavours, the smaller LB80 had a
forged flange integral with the shaft, the larger LB110 and LB140's
had a floating cap on the outer end, so when it broke, it nearly
always went inside the differential, while the LB80's always sheared
off at the flange end.

This one was a pig to do as it had a diff-lock as standard and the
shaft had broken between the two sets of splines, so we had to drop
the diff out on the road. I called out our other engineer to give me a
hand and bring the diff jack with him, and we got it done without too
much hassle.

We hung around while the Police escort was recalled, and made sure
that he pulled away up the hill without breaking any more shafts, then
we went back to bed, it was about 4am.

I awoke at 5am with a sudden thought:  who had tightened the drain
plug and filler plug up??  I couldn't remember if the other guy had
done it and I certainly couldn't recall doing it myself.

I sweated for a while until I got hold of the Police who checked with
the escort. They had pulled up for a break and were able to confirm it
was all OK, but I had a couple of hours of very uncormfortable
waiting!

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes