[SEL] Petter Gib Key

Paul Maples paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 30 16:31:31 PST 2005

Ok Guys I am going to the Industrial Supply house tomorrow and get a Grade 8 Fine Thread 1/4 bolt, a tap and the proper drill bit for the tap. I am going to get some 3/8 keystock and cut off about 3/4" of it and do my best to center drill the 3/4" piece to make a drill jig. I will place this in the 1/2" exposed keyway that I presently have and clamp it in place. I will then use the drill jig to drill a 1/8 hole in the end of the broken gib key and then use the proper drill size for the tap. I will try and drill in about a 1/2" and then tap it and screw in the 1/4" fine thread grade 8 bolt once I have welded it to the end of the shaft I am going to use for the knocker. I will then try and knock it out.

I hope this works as this will be about all I can do with what I have to work with. I will let everyone know if I succeed or fail.

I appreciate all of the feedback that each of you have given.

Paul