[SEL] Piston Ring Gap

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Sun Mar 27 09:38:58 PST 2005

And small block Chebbie blocks distort more than most others so it's more
critical to use a torque plate.
I can put an inside mic in a SBC bore and squeeze the block with my hands
and it will fall out due to the distortion.

Those plates run about $300-$400 and are available for almost anything, even
Briggs & Stratton engines.

Unless you run even a sunnen rigid hone in a "drill press" or honing machine
if you use a hand drill you can put a bit of tilt into it and distort the
bore.

As was already stated - Anything that is not a rigid hone is a glaze-breaker
hone and will not straighten a bore.

Bill
(in the middle of building a hi-perf engine now)