[SEL] Piston Ring Gap

Ron Frost, Kersey, PA ron217_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 06:59:30 PST 2005

For honing, go down to the grocery and buy a can of Crisco cooking lard. Put a generous supply on the stones and the bore and keep adding as needed. Works great. I've honed 36" dia. cylinders with it.As an arternative, if you take a flat file you can cut the ends of the ring quite easly.
Ron

Luke Tonneberger <flywheelin at hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jack,

It is air cooled with an aluminum piston. It is for a model I'm attempting
to make. I have the bore close to finish size. The piston fits, but the
rings don't fit yet. I put in a piston ring and can't quite get the ends to
meet. The bore is too small yet so the ends of the ring overlap a bit. I
need to hone it out about .015 inches I'm guessing. I'm using the end gap on
the rings to determine what my finished bore size will need to be and how
much I'll need to hone it. I've read a little on how to hone, but not sure
what to use for cutting fluid.

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA
================

>From: Jack Watson
>
>kerogas at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>
>>>Hi Luke.
>>>This was taken from a past posting:
>>>
>>>"About .003-.005" per inch of bore is typically recommended."
>>>

>>but 4 rhymes with bore
>>
>*******
>Air cooled or water cooled? Aluminium or CI pistons?
>Air cooled cylinders require a bit more clearance
>
>(OK - I know that old one - they are ALL air cooled, ultimately)
>
>Jack in Oz
>********

Ron Frost
Kersey, PA
 http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4070123&a=30427007&f=0

  http://community.webshots.com/user/ron15846

" Collector of other peoples cultured merchandise "