[SEL] Need Help with 1-1/2 HP Petter / now flywheel taper

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Thu Mar 24 12:39:59 PST 2005

Hi Luke,

If memory serves (back to my days as an apprentice machinist measuring
keyways and cutting tapered keys to fit), the taper was in the hub (gear,
bearing race, whatever).  The bottom of the keyway in the shaft was flat
and parallel to the shaft.  I have not done similar measurements on old
engine flywheels, but given that the needed action (broaching) is the
same, I'd guess the outcome would be the same.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com