[SEL] "Free wheel, Locked wheel"

Jack Watson nadejack at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 23 20:57:21 PST 2005

Richard Strobel wrote:

>Thats the way I would think it would work also.  Thanks Jack!! It will be
>fun playing with the setup when we get her going.
>
>later,
>RickinMt.
>

>>With most of the fast & loose pulley systems I've seen (and used!), the
>>fast and loose pulleys were crowned but there was no crowning on the
>>double-width driver.
>>The shifting-gear (usually overhead and actuated by either a long lever
>>or a rope) has guides to push the belt sideways as required, but is not
>>required to act as an alignment device. In fact, when properly set up,
>>the guides stand clear of the edges of the belt except when shifting the
>>belt across.
>>
>>Jack in Oz

********
I forgot to mention in my previous that the crowning on the two adjacent
driven pulleys gives an almost servo-mechanism type action. When the
striking gear is engaged to nudge the belt off whichever driven pulley
it is on at the time, an action similar to over-centre action occurs,
the belt slips across to climb the adjacent pulley's crown. In other
words, it is not brute force pushing the belt across. Of course, the
inertia of the driven machine may require you to hold pressure on for a
few moments while it winds up.

(I can just hear my grandkids now - "Tell is some more yarns about the
olden days, Grandad!)

Jack in Oz
*******