[SEL] "Free wheel, Locked wheel"

Jack Watson nadejack at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 23 16:07:39 PST 2005

MaytagTwin at aol.com wrote:

>Hi Rick,
>
>I suspect, but can't say for sure, that having all the pulleys involved
>"crowned" is enough to allow for some misalignment without the belt running off.
>If I were setting it up, I would try for aligning the power source pulley with
>the driven pulley, and let the idler pulley be a little out of alignment.
>What's your situation?
>Regards,
>Ron Carroll
>Clearmont, Missouri USA
>

>In a message dated 3/23/2005 11:44:34 AM Central Standard Time,
>Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com writes:
>I would assume then that the "driver" pulley would have to be wide enought
>so the belt stayed put?....whether on an engine or lineshaft.
>
>Thanks much
>Rickinmt.

With most of the fast & loose pulley systems I've seen (and used!), the
fast and loose pulleys were crowned but there was no crowning on the
double-width driver.
The shifting-gear (usually overhead and actuated by either a long lever
or a rope) has guides to push the belt sideways as required, but is not
required to act as an alignment device. In fact, when properly set up,
the guides stand clear of the edges of the belt except when shifting the
belt across.

Jack in Oz