[SEL] Dogs on show grounds (OT?)now fences...again.

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 15:44:28 PST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 09:19:07 +1030, Steven N Kitto <sndakitto at rbm.com.au> wrote:
> Curt
> The only cost to the club for the erection of the compounds was the labour
> in putting them up and taking them down. And that was volunteered.
>
> A member of the public said to me on the Saturday that he was pleased with
> the fences around the compounds because it was safe to let his children
> wander to see the engines etc, without the fear of them getting tangled in
> the machines. Worth passing on.
>
> Steve and Denise Kitto

<rant mode>

I (somewhat reluctantly) want to comment on this as it seems to me
that we as a race are going away from individual responsibility and
towards a state of being 'looked after' in terms of anything dangerous
or exciting,  whatever.

When we were kids in the 1950's, we had a long leash and were allowed
as much freedom as we could use, as long as we obeyed the rules which
were knocked into us by our parents. If we goofed, we got punished and
it was forgotten about by all, except that after you had a whack YOU
didn't forget and you made damm sure you weren't in line for another.

At school we had the cane, even at Junior school. Same thing there, if
you goofed, you got punished, simple as that.

If the present trend continues, we will not be allowed to punish our
kids, they will not learn by their mistakes until it is too late, and
kids won't learn anything at all from their parents as nothing will be
passed on to them.

Protecting kids from machinery and engines is all very fine, but when
I was a kid you had basic ground rules set out before you left the
house and you stuck to them. You didn't poke your fingers into
anything at all, you could look but not touch as it wasn't yours to
play with, you didn't speak back at people: I am sure most of the
older members will remember these basics well. What we seem to have
lost is the ability to pass these on to the present generation.

</rant mode>

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes