[SEL] Dogs on show grounds (OT?)now fences...again.

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed Mar 23 07:47:41 PST 2005

Ron Page wrote:

>Hi Curt
>
> I don't know where people got the idea that the requirement for fences was
>a LAW.  Our legislators have not made LAWS in this regard however have done
>in other areas such as occupation and health.  We, private citizens, even if
>we belong to a National body cannot make LAWS.  In the case of our
>Association we have not even made RULES.  As I have stated before that the
>Association has only issued GUIDELINES (there are reasons for this which I
>have explained before) for the conduct of an engine rally, National or
>otherwise.  These have no standing in LAW, however, in saying that, I am
>sure the insurer would use them for their benefit in the event of an
>accident to the public.  The last insurance policy I looked at included
>reference to the guidelines.  I have not seen the latest policy.

Ron,
As I looked at the compounds I could only begin to guess what the
thousands of posts, the labor to dig them, the many kilometres of fence
material, and the labour to erect all of it must have cost the
organizers! It has to be a staggering number.
I find your comments about the insurer using the organizers interesting
and I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Sounds like the
insurance companies are doing their best to lead organizers to believe
that the compounds are required to assure that the insurance companies
assume virtually no risk. At the very least this is unethical. Sounds
like show organizers need to find out exactly what is required and what
laws really exist and don't exist. If the compounds are not a
requirement, show organizers stand to save a considerable sum of money
not having to install them. In the States we simply ask folks displaying
engines to set a few posts around their displays and hang a rope on it.
Some displays do and some don't. It is up to the show organizers and is
never dictated by the insurance company. In fact you will never see a
representative of an insurance company at a show.
Curt