[SEL] Dogs on show grounds (OT?)now fences...again.

Patrick M Livingstone pml1 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 23 00:51:31 PST 2005

Hi Curt,
	Most rallies have sufficient space down the centre of their compound
to allow access for trucks and trailers. My bigger engines like the R&V and
Austral are not something you can roll very far (especially on grass) but I
have always been able to back the trailer right up to the display space for
pull out a star-picket, drop the fence, load the engine and put the fence up
again. A certain club objected to a list member doing this and it has cost
them his (and others) attendance to their once good rally (if you wish to
know which club contact me off list).
A couple of points as per the law. OH&S (certainly in NSW) only has
authority if you are being paid to operate a piece of machinery. As we are
operating our engines voluntarily they have no authority. We had some OH&S
officials turn up at one of our club displays with their clipboards and
started to push their weight around. They disappeared as soon as one of our
club members who is pretty knowledgeable on such stuff called their bluff
and reminded them they had no authority over us :)
NSW now has slightly different public liability laws to limit the amount of
payouts (and silly lawsuits). That should result in lower premiums in NSW so
by there being a national insurance for the hobby are we subsidising the
other states? ;)

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html