[SEL] Dogs on show grounds (OT?)now fences...again.

Ron Page page at velocitynet.com.au
Tue Mar 22 23:28:14 PST 2005

Hi Curt

 I don't know where people got the idea that the requirement for fences was
a LAW.  Our legislators have not made LAWS in this regard however have done
in other areas such as occupation and health.  We, private citizens, even if
we belong to a National body cannot make LAWS.  In the case of our
Association we have not even made RULES.  As I have stated before that the
Association has only issued GUIDELINES (there are reasons for this which I
have explained before) for the conduct of an engine rally, National or
otherwise.  These have no standing in LAW, however, in saying that, I am
sure the insurer would use them for their benefit in the event of an
accident to the public.  The last insurance policy I looked at included
reference to the guidelines.  I have not seen the latest policy.

In regards to your comment regarding laws about unrestrained animals (read
dogs).  Yes the majority of councils if not all have laws regarding
unleashed dogs in public places and cleaning up their droppings as you go a
long. In fact some councils provide bins and plastics bags for dog owners
for this purpose.  It all stems from the number of dog attacks on humans
that we have had over the past few years, some resulting in death.  And the
other part is as a result of pedestrians stepping into the droppings.
However you can be lucky my place backs onto a "free range" area and my dogs
can run loose and, best of all, I don't have to carry plastic bags.

While I have been writing this I notice that Reg has commented.  I agree
with you Reg.  I would like to see the Insurers put it in writing.  Bet they
don't.

And if you want to put on a display without fencing go ahead, but until they
put it in writing you wont be covered and because of this you will not be
allowed to show by the local Councils insurance requirement - not the NHMA.

Ron