[SEL] Dogs on show grounds (OT?)now fences...again.

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Mar 22 05:02:22 PST 2005

Barry,
In years past you have espoused a LOT about fences and such all claiming
it was the law. Did not get the chance to meet you at the Naracoorte
ralley to discuss insurance and fences with you, but there was a rumor
floating around the National this year that the fences were NOT the law.
Apparently there was considerable backlash against the folks manning the
insurance tent and that during some meeting one of the insurance reps
stood up and stated that the fences were NOT a requirement of the
national insurance body, but rather that was a decision left to the
local clubs managing the shows. With that said, I have to question if
there is really such a trivial law on the Oz book that bans unrestrained
pets in public places. Hard to imagine legislators wasting their time on
such trivial matters. Perhaps local ordinances could dictate....but laws?

Since I have mentioned the fences, I'll comment on them and their impact
on show attendees. Missy and I started off looking at engines from
outside of the compounds. The advantage the compounds have are to impose
extremely well managed arrangement of engines. I'm guessing the
compounds were roughly 10 metres wide and several hundred metres long.
There was a removable fence section at each end. This arrangement made
unloading and loading one's engines quite difficult unless you simply
relinquished the task to the crane operator who would set your engine
over the fence edge. If you wanted to do it yourself you had to roll
your display all the way down the length of the compound since there
were no intermediate openings in the compounds. Most displays were set
with the more interesting side toward the fence.

For the general public who knows little about the engines wandering down
the aisles is likely sufficient. But for those fascinated with the
workings of the engines being outside of the compounds was not going to
do it. After the first row we hopped the fence so we could get a better
look. Now we could walk all around the engines, study them, touch them,
meet and shake hands with the owners, exchange business cards, take
pictures without having to wait on spectators to clear the area, read
s/n's and other tag information, etc. From inside it felt just like an
engine show in the US....except that we were in side shaft heaven!

Towards the end of Saturday I ripped the seat out of a brand new pair of
shorts crawling over the fences. I'd guess having my big white bum
showing in public was against the law too ;-)
So I gotta say I incurred more risk and injury from the fences than from
the thrashing, maiming, rotating machinery on display :-)
Perhaps Missy or Nick would care to comment.....
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC
P.S. Pictures on the way....sorting thru 801 photos.