[SEL] Oz National Report

Graham Harris ozengine at yahoo.com.au
Wed Mar 16 17:26:06 PST 2005

Oz National Report

Finally I can take down the Heyfield (Oz National
2003) rally photo that's been on the fridge for 2
years and replace it with the good looking bunch from
2005!

The weather was OK, a tad on the hot side. Apparantly
quite hot on Friday, then hot and windy with dust on
Saturday. Sunday was a bit overcast thus cooler and
the wind had gone. It was the nicest day. We'd had our
accomodation booked for 2 years, a nice cabin in the
bush on top of the limestone caves area, about 10Km
from the rally site. On the way over, we heard that
the only available accomodation was at Casterton about
130Km south!

A nice town Naracoorte. Not the first time we've been
there, but plenty of local history, classic SA
limestone buildings, caves, the reclaimed mid-town
cemetry now a public park with some nice railway stuff
on display. Several shops in town with window
display's supporting the rally (Menswear shop - a
couple of engines and oil boxes in the window with
clothes draped over, the Kodak shop and the Travel
Agency). We unloaded on Friday then took off on a tour
of the South-East. Everyone in the SE seemed to know
about the rally. We were telling everyone we met why
we were here and always received friendly favourable
wine district and a nice town, I could live in Penola!
Millicent has a great Museum, some un-identified
engines and I was able to sketch up and measure the
battery ignition parts to repro for my famous. It's
amazing what you find in unexpected places. Beachport
(on the coast) was nice, visibly changed only a little
in the 17 years since we were there last. We had a
swim in the 7-times saltier salt lake. Quite weird,
you just cannot sink. Sadly though, real estate
inflation is said to be squeezing out the locals, some
even finding rates difficult to pay. City money
spoiling these lovely areas. It's a bit sad, but no
simple answer unfortunately.

Some nice models (engine models) on display at the
rally. The chap I spoke to knows Reg and said he
expected Reg would be there, I said I thought not so
it seems Ol' Reg was certainly missed.

Curt & Missy and Nick Lozzi were sweating it out in
the 40C heat after coming from snow piled up at the
windows at home! I was quietly amused, but kept in
mind that 2 foot of snow for months at a time would
soon sort us out too. It was good to meet up with
them. Kerry kindly arranged the SEL photo.

Nick was a bit disappointed with the relatively few
F&J's on show. I too was hoping the rare water cooled
pumper and a few DE's would be there. I think SA was
maybe the biggest importer of F&J to Oz.

A herc owner told me "that" bloke called "Karcher" was
about somewhere collecting Herc S/N's, I later
realised it was probably Curt on Glenn's behalf. There
were more Hercs than F&J's there.

"Pin striping is easier that you think" said the owner
of the best 2-pack concours engine there (a Herc
1-1/2). The owner is an auto spray painter so it's
just another job for him, I guess. I missed videoing
his engine running, but caught him wiping it down with
a sponge and hot soapy water. That was an impressive
sight. Certainly makes my 2-coat brush enamel jobs
look average!

Other list members at the Rally I met up with - Alan
Johno (only a walk from home), Mick, Dave Nicko,
Lindsay, Kerry, Steve K, Brian. (Pls tell me if I've
forgotten anyone - not intentional, I'll make
amends!). Various magneto's and a few engines for sale
in the compounds. The rally auction was cancelled for
some reason.

No SEL compound this year unfortunately. Maybe we need
a banner in each representing country. Perhaps we
should be acting more like a "club" (but without club
politics - is that possible?) and a bit more
organizing, Great to say, but who'd do it. It would
have to be a shared responsibility. I reckon many
would benefit by visiting an SEL compound and "signing
up" because we have the internet as our basic tool.
I'd estimate a majority of club members in Oz clubs
have no knowledge of how the internet (SEL) can be so
useful. That's probably because a lot of members are
older blokes who collected engines when they were $5.

Kerry was doing a great job tour guiding Curt & Missy.
On Sunday travelling back east via Russell's place,
Wentworth clubrooms and Big Lizzy. A lot of good stuff
missed in SA, but as always time and logistics make it
difficult. Pinnaroo, Murray Bridge, Tailem Bend and
Mannum are 4 good museums missed out on that come to
mind.

Nick was travelling more independently, but also
missed seeing more collections. A hire car would have
been a great idea. I was a bit disapointed in the
ride east for Nick. Not as "Ozzie" as I would have
liked - gee, I hope "we" aren't changing. I think he
sorted out a ride though.

Big engines on show included a 50HP Kynoch, 60HP
Crossley, 30HP Ronnie and a 3-cyl Blackstone and some
large hot-air engines. Unusual engines like a 14HP
waterloo boy and a side-crank crossley, and some
creative engine-driven displays like the dog weeing in
some boots! I took all video, for my club library, but
there should be plenty of still photo's coming up
soon.

Overall, I thought a good turn up of engines/tractors,
not much steam. Quite a few empty compounds, but that
may be a reflection of wise planning rather than
numbers. The site security was commendably tight. We
were unable to unload at 6PM on Thursday and had to
wait until 7AM Friday. A slightly better through-flow
of exhibitors unloading to avoid in/out using the same
gate is all I'd say needed improvement.

Graham in Oz

http://au.movies.yahoo.com