[SEL] Getting back into engines.

Joseph L Betz jlb94 at juno.com
Mon Mar 14 08:58:44 PST 2005

Hi Tommy,
Good to hear you're getting into the engines again.
As for painting - I do things a little different than most.
I quit spraying a long time ago when the price of thinners and automotive
paint got too high.
I usually wire wheel my engines to bare cast iron.
I use Rust-Oleum rusty metal primer - maybe 3 coats - sanding each coat
with 280 grit wet-dry.
Same with the paint - Rust-Oleum - thinned to a consistency that I like
and brush it on thin & almost dry
trying  not to leave brush marks.

Last year I experimented putting a coat or two of spar varnish over the
finished paint job.
I was pleasantly surprised.

As for pin stripping - I picked up a Beuglar Pin Stripping tool at a flea
market - $30.
www.beugler.com
It was a "Jumbo" and not really suited for doing the thinner lines we
need.
Later, I bought another for $15 at Rogers, OH flea market.  It was good
but one of the wheels would stick.
Later I bought a new Beugler from the company which ran in excess of
$100.

The Beugler works nice and I recommend it for the amateur who has never
used a pin striping brush.
Someday I will venture there.

You might want to take a peek at my Webshots (In my signature).  You
might be able to see some of the pin striping I did on my Fuller-Johnson
and Jaeger.

Good luck.

Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
jlb94 at juno.com
 ,-._,-.         "Conceit is an odd disease:
 \/)"(\/        It makes everyone sick but the one who has it."
 (_o_)          http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz