[SEL] Universal GenSet

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 09:32:58 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:24:36 -0700, Richard Strobel
<Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> wrote:
> Appreciate the info, Mike.  I see where they have some old literature on
> Universal Engines and GenSets.  Course the cyberbox locks up when I crank up
> the .pdf files so will get Cork to do it.
>
> I now believe ours is a "D" model as the serial number is D1844.  You might
> find this 4 page site interesting as we did:
>
> http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Atomic_4_Eng_Service/History_of_the_Universal_Motor_Company_1.html#top
>
> I hope that url doesn't wrap, if so I'll do an abbriviated version.
>
>  Re: the Dixie mag, I going to assume it's impulse as Peters chart shows
> the Dixie 46 has a 35 degree impulse lag.  Once again I'll assume that the
> 35 degrees is the amount of turn that the spring winds up before it
> trips/impulses.  Kinda like a Webster.  This one doesn't impulse or at least
> I can't hear it, so I'll tinker with it a little and re-charge the
> magnet(s).
>
>  Does anyone know which position of the advance/retard lever is retard...up
> or down?  Don't need any excitement regarding that proceedure:-)
>
>  All in all a very nice engine with definite learning capabilities.  The
> mag, carb, gov, dynamo, water pump are just a few.
>
> I've uploaded a few more pictures to my webshots album:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/291395326wWDmvi
>
> Thanks again, Mike and all
>
> RickinMt.

I had a bit of time to check on the other magneto service books, in
particular the Eisemann Magneto service book. This has a printing date
of 1931 if I have interpreted the printing codes correctly, and gives
replacement/original magneto fitting.

Under Universal, they list the equivalent as either AM-4, AM-6 or AM2H
for the various universal engine types.

Mounting for all types is 45mm base mount
Fixed spark (no variation possible on the Eisemann model (The Dixie
did have variable spark timing)
Lag angle varies between 15, 25 and 35 degrees
Lug angle (presume this refers to the coupling?) is 5 degrees MORE
than the lag angle.

Bendix have no information on Universal Engines in my service books

Wico have the XH series listed in various spec's as a replacement
magneto.  We have two sets of Wico books, one is when they were owned
by Globe-Union, and a later one when Prestolite owned them. The
earlier book only has anything for the Universal engine.

Nowhere have I come across the D1844 engine designation, or a D
designation of any kind.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes