[SEL] Re: Rotary & Impulse Mags

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:30:52 PST 2005

>   16. Re: Rotary & Impulse Mags (Arnie Fero)
>>
>Message: 16
>Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:30:51 -0500 (EST)
>From: Arnie Fero <fero_ah at city-net.com>
>Subject: [SEL] Re: Rotary & Impulse Mags
>To: The SEL email discussion list <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>Hi John,
>
>I've got three engines with rotary high tension mags.  The Crossley and
>the Petter do not have an impulse, and my two cylinder Novo Roller does.
>
>See ya,  Arnie

I certainly didn't mean to speak as though I were an authority on the
subject.  I was only drawing from my own, albeit limited, experience.
Arnie, do you have to do anything special when starting the engines sans
impulse?  Like was already stated impulse on a mag is an aid for
safer/easier starting.  Maybe I will get to see one at SIAM this summer.  I
am a FATG but read this list so that I can learn about engines.  I learned
something new today.
BTW When I mentioned 1 cylinder Wisconsins I was thinking of the air cooled
version that you would find on an antique garden tractor or pump.  I have
three of them and they all have external mags and all have impulse.  I meant
to exlude the ones with flywheel mags i.e. Briggs & Stratton.