[SEL] Universal GenSet

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 00:12:06 PST 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:41:31 -0700, Richard Strobel
<Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> wrote:
> I would think more like the 20's.  Gaggle has revealed some info and these
> engines were widely used in boats also.  Possibly Universal is still in
> business.
>
>  Sure could use some help in hooking this generator up.  There's only 3
> binding posts on top of it and they are unmarked.  I would assume that an
> exciter and regulator would be used also.
>
> Thanks to Peter's website, I now have some info on the Dixie 46 mag.  It
> appears to be the impulse type.
>
> TIA
> RickinMt.
>

> > We  believe it's a 7hp, 4 lunger, 1000 rpm, primer cups on each cylinder.
> > The  big tank is the gas tank.
> >

> > I'll bet you find its substantially older than the 1940s..
> >    Mike Semanoff

The 1920's Dixie catalogue that we have shows an earlier version of
this magneto, the terminal plate and connections are the same, but
there is no magnets cover. The lower plate 'should' have
advance-retard capability if it is the same as the ones in my book.

I'd guess 1930's for a dating.

The F-M replacements catalogue only shows Eisemann magnetos or F-M, no
Dixie stuff for Universal engines.

One of my engine piston/ring catalogues shows Universal 10hp
4-cylinder flat head 2-5/8" bore Model N (marine application)

There may be more stuff I can dig up later.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com